Purchased this as one of those essential classics, but then got carried away reading about all of the modifications in forums. I ended up modifying the front suspension, adding the third shock at the back, replacing all four shocks, fitted alloy body pins and a cross-beam at the front of the chassis to prevent bending of the plastic chassis. I test-drove it after completing it as a stock build to see how it was, pretty much just as described – bounced around all over the shop and made some rather alarming banging sounds from the suspension, that was just casual bashing around the driveway too. After modifications to the suspension the difference was a marked improvement all-round.
The body was painted using Tamiya TS spray paints, first fine white surface primer which was sanded with very fine wet and dry, then several TS-16 yellow top coats that were sanded with wet and dry between coats to get a very smooth and glossy finish; it’s not car showroom perfect but still pretty good.